BUTTERNUT SQUASH BISQUE //
there are a million soup variations for this versatile squash, but this autumn combination is one of my favorites. I use this recipe to sneak in a multitude of healing foods- butternut squash is an exceptional source of carotene and vitamin C, green apples lend a subtle sweetness but without a huge sugar impact due to their fiber content. carrots contribute an enormous amount of vitamin A, and garlic & onion possess almost magical anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. bone broth heals the gut and supplies ample amounts of gelatin and minerals.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 green apple, cored & chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups bone broth (you can use coconut milk for a creamier taste- be sure it's BPA and guar gum free)
- ceylon cinnamon
- garlic powder
- Maldon sea salt
- toss all ingredients except bone broth in coconut oil
- pread on a lined baking sheet and roast at 350 for 25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
- once cooked until soft, add vegetables to large pot, pour in bone broth, and simmer about 10-15 minutes.
- use an immersion blender or throw into your standing blender (I use my Vitamix) until blended through. top with extra virgin olive oil, herbs, and a bit of cinnamon.
This would also be exceptionally delicious with roasted pear in addition to / instead of green apple, but that would raise the sugar content a bit.
to good health and happy eating,